Let me turn back the clock to year 2001 when my mum was first diagnosed.
I still remember I went to TTSH with mum for her op to remove the lump on her right breast. Mum felt the lump while she was showering. She didnt think much of it. Neither do I. During the Dr(Dr Patrick Chan) appt, Dr says it will be a One Day Surgery kind of op. The op will take abt at most 2 hrs. There is no need for hospitalization. Will be given hosp leave for i think 7 days. Dr says the op will be held tml and my mum needs to admit on that very same day. I still recalled my mum was arguing with the Dr saying it will be better to do it in another few days time so that she can have more resting period cos that day was a friday. The nurse was telling us..."Auntie, its better to do it asap... so dun delay any further"...still the word CANCER was not mentioned at all during the whole consultation. So my mum admitted herself that day....
On the day of surgery
I was waiting with my brother at the TTSH for my mum op to finish... We are expecting the op to be completed in not more than 2 hrs... But we waited for more than 5 hrs...I was thinking to myself why.... but still I did not think of cancer. When my mum was out from the OT, she was not awake yet... and I saw the blood drainage bottle and she was wheeled to the ward.... Why the need to stay in the ward when Dr says it was just a day surgery and there was no need for hospitalization.
Dr came. They told us it was bad news. The lump was cancerous. They did lumpectomy. My mum has breast cancer. I remembered the Dr was asking us whether we want them to tell my mum or we break the news to her ourselves. I really do not know which is better. I was still in shock.
When my mum woke up... she asked me how long was the surgery... and how come she is in the ward... I wanted to cry.... But I managed to open my mouth and tell her the lump was no good. Its cancer. I remembered my mum reaction to my words were calm. She didnt say much. She does not look scared. I do not know why. My mum was diagnosed with Stage IIb breast ca.
What came after was 30 days of radiation and 4 cycles of chemo. But my mum only completed 3 cycles of chemo as my mum suffered terrible side effects(continuous vomiting, not able to eat, cant sleep etc). The Dr suggested to forgo the 4th one. After all the treatments, my mum was on 5 year hormonal treatment with Tamoxifen. Everything was back to normal... except for the occasional follow up Dr appt and xrays. The whole family including my mum put the cancer at the back of our mind. We all thought the cancer was destroyed. My mum is cured. Until about 4 years later... ironically it was 1 year more to the 5 year mark.... my mum has her first relapse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Kel,
Thank you for sharing. Like your mother, i had my relasped 6 months before my 5th Year on Tamoxifen.
You definitely have been a pillar of strength for your mother. I guess cancer patients greatest comfort is to have a fantastic truly sincere caregiver. Like i said that last time, she definitely is blessed.
Oh as for putting Molly's video into your blog. Hmm, do I have your email? I see what i can do to help you upload :)
Cheers
Love Fleur
Hi Fleur
Im happy to see you drop comment here...
My email add is low_kel@hotmail.com
As for the uploading... no problem gal.. no need to trouble yourself... :)
Post a Comment