First of all..... I must say im very touched to have people coming by my blog for updates and dropping their words of support and encouragement.... it really meant alot to me.... you guys do not know me in person but bothered to spend time in wanting to know how am I getting along and how is my mum coping.... a million of appreciation to you people.... it all went straight into my heart....
My mum had fever 2 weeks after her first chemo cycle... blood test show very low white blood count of only 1.1 i think.... the lowest so far from all the previous chemos... the nurse told my mum its becos of too much chemo treatment....it affect the bone marrow and so the low blood count.... so dr gave my mum injection boaster to boast her blood count so she wont be prone to infection and will not affect her next cycle... all these is needed despite my mum faithfully eat lots of spinach (bo cai).... egg white... and lean meat.... Im worried for the future cycles...
My mum shaved her hair in another salon different from the previous one.... cos she do not want the hairdresser to ask her again.....but still the person ask my mum why she want to shave her hair.... my mum say becos she has hair loss due to a medicine she is taking..... then the person ask my mum is it chemo drug....duh... bo bianz my mum say yes.... sigh... lost of hair is the first tell tale sign a person is undergoing chemo treatment otherwise its hard to tell whether this person has or had cancer.... I totally understand why people who needs to go thru chemo mind so much abt hair loss.... they do not like stares from people.... they dun like strangers to ask why no hair... they dun like wearing wig which is so uncomfortable and hot...
My mum now wears a scarf.... and I think it look nice on her.... its much more comfortable than a wig...
I just came back from my china trip with my husband (for his stock take).... my mum told me 2 days back that her friend just passed away.... I was shocked... and sad.... and worried.... I know my mum is upset and discouraged....
My mum's friend had lympnoma cancer about 5 years ago i think.... she first noticed a small lump on her neck... and my mum asked her to get it checked... but she brushed it off by saying its probably heatiness... at the same time scared to face the music... When she finally get the lump checked...its bad news... its cancer... then went the surgery to remove the lump... followed by chemo.... After she recovered... she always frequent JB for seafood and good food... my mum told her not to eat seafood.... I know there isnt any medical reason not to but chinese believe seafood is toxic to the body... I do not know how true.... but my mum believes it.... she avoided seafood completely except fish.... but still her cancer came back.... so...hmm...
About 3 weeks ago she got to know that her friend was hospitalized.... my mum went to visit her in SGH... she just had surgery to remove cancerous lump in her intestine... I do not know whether its a primary site or a spread... I guessed my mum did not ask... her friend was bedridden... on morphine... cant eat so on milk drip... her eyes are yellow... I guess her liver is also affected.... they chatted for a while.... she told my mum the cancer grew back on the same area... chemo not able to reduce the lump....then one day she has abdominal pain and her ocnologist at Gleaneagles (Dr Ang Peng Tiam) referred her to SGH as if knowing he will not be able to help her.... then goes the surgery....
My mum went to SGH for her theraphy session so drop by her ward to see her but could not find her.... only upon asking the nurse there....my mum knows that her friend passed away that very day.... I can imagine the loss and fear when my mum was there to recieve the news.... I know in her heart she must be asking herself when will be her turn.... In fact we never talk abt death in our family.... I guess no one really wants to talk abt it... we will just take one step at a time... we will handle it when the time comes.... I do not know how long will my mum be with us... I do not want to think abt it... I will feel very depressed by thinking abt it... so I rather not think..... ignorance is a bliss...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Kel,
Thanks for this update.
(*typed and backspaced several times*) I think I'm at a loss for appropriate words to encourage you. I have a different cancer from your mum so I cannot offer my experience in terms of treatment regimes. I had been through some of the emotional roller coasters you mentioned (and am still struggling daily) and can somehow empathize with you and your mum. It's normal to feel those and I reckon it's our entitlements too.
Here's a virtual hug for you. *hug*
Stay strong and "jiayou"!
Regards.
Hi kel,
Thank you so so much for always sharing with us....
Yes you are right, its best to just take on day at a time :)
I am sure ur mum has the fear in her heart... lets just do something else with her...so that she will not think about it
As for her low blood count..that's what my doc is also worried about.. cos my body did not have sufficient rest from chemo... just make sure keep everyone away who shows that they are a little not well.... HUGS
Jia you...
Love Fleur
Post a Comment