Thursday, June 5, 2008

4 Days to Mum's 2nd Operation

Went to see Dr Tan with mum this morning. Appt was at 905am.... but Dr Tan went for emergency op so waited till abt noon time before we finally see him. The whole consultation ended in less than 5mins. Nothing much was mentioned. However, Dr Tan will not be involve in this operation... its a long story.... Initially during the appt with Dr Koong (I was not in spore so my bro went with mum), he was saying he needs to check Dr Tan availability before confirming on the op date so asked my mum to wait outside. After a while, a nurse took them to the listing room. A date was given but told my mum that the admitting paper only state Dr Koong but not Dr Tan... sigh... big confusion but in the end my mum went home without clarifying this. So I guess Dr Tan time was not booked for the op on monday thus Dr Koong will handle the op himself... I wonder will this make a difference....

Till date my mum has done numerous surgeries...countless of chemo treatments... sigh... when will all these going to end... I really hope this operation will the last surgery ever... Looking back the the previous op which is abt 2 mths back.... its scary... really...


21st April 2008 - Operation date
Admitted to hosp on 20th. Mum was wheeled into operation theatre at 1030am. Only came out at 11pm. The whole wait was long and worrisome.... although we are informed that it will be a long and major operation but still the wait is killing.... When I saw my mum pushed out of the OT, I wanted to tear... but trying my best to hold it back. I dun want to worry my mum. Im sure she doesnt want to see us crying. She got so many tubes and bottles around her. Althou she has gone through numerous surgeries but this is the one with the most "post-op accessories" and the longest op ever done. She has a oxygen tube in her nostrils, 4 blood drainage bottles, one big blood pump, urine bag, IV drop, blood infusion (mum lost quite a fair bit of blood during the op). When she was wheeled to the High Dependency unit it was already midnight. Cant stayed for long, moreover mum was drowsy. But managed to talk to her for a short while. She cant really talk... only can whisper some words. She uttered ' very pain' a few times... so I went to tell the Dr on duty. She said she is preparing morphine infusion for her. Gosh... I cant imagine the pain my mum is suffering at that time... I really wanted to cry... Dr said the OT side has already given the morphine injection.... but why is my mum still feeling such great pain??.... We headed home... as when we (my hubby) were walking to the car, my hubby put his comforting hand on my shoulder telling me its ok... its all over... my mum is going to be ok.... my tears can no longer hide...tears fall uncontrollably.... I told myself... I cant be in denial... I have to be strong... I cant afford to be weak at this time...

The next 2 weeks I camped myself at the hospital everyday... Mum has morphine infusing 24hrs a day... 4ml every one hour if i remember correctly... but with the morphine infusion mum's pain level better well managed. Seeing my mum getting better each day really helps my day... Mum remained on the bed for that exact position for a long time... cant move much... cant eat and drink for the first few days... but she definitely gets better each day till the day she was discharged. Looking back now.... she really has gone thru quite alot... but she survived it all...

Ehh... seems like I forgot to mention what type of op my mum went for.... I dont quite know the actual Dr's term but its a op that requires chestwall resection and a plastic surgeon to remove a big area of tissue from my mum's tummy and patch it back.... and my mum also has two of her rib bones removed........

Why the need for another op this monday? Well.... the pathology report says that clear margins was not attained during the op... so will need another op to try to clear it. Sigh.... what more can I say.... no words can describe my disappointment and aches...



4 comments:

Gloria said...

Hi, i came by your blog thru' Molly's. I am a 5 year old BC survivor. I hope your Mum's operation went well. Take care. i am sure your mum is in good hands

babe said...

Hi Gloria

Thank you for your comment and concern. Hope u can too keep the fighting spirits up ya! May u be blessed with good health! :)

Babe

Anonymous said...

hi Kel,
Thank you for sharing your point as a caregiver :)
YOu are amazingly strong and what you are doing for your mother is amazing.
Please take good care of yourself too. I am sure its very painful for you to see someone you love so much going through so much pain. You know, just your presence is already a source of strength for you mother to fight on.
My prayers will be for you and your mum.

Take care
Love Fleur

babe said...

Hi Fleur

Thank you for your encouragement! Your comments sure helps to lighten my day! :)

Kel